Full-Time Ongoing Recruitment at INTERSOS Nigeria
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Job Code: SR-49-1292
Location: Abuja (30%) with frequent travel to the states/regions (70%)
Starting Date: 24 / 4 / 2020
Contract Duration: 12 months (with 3 month-long initial probation contract)
Reporting To: Head of Mission
Supervision of: All the Project Managers (FS & L, CCCM/Shelter, Health & Nutrition, WASH, Partnership warehouses and M&E).
General Context of the Project
The purpose of the Country Programme Coordinator position is to develop and ensure implementation of holistic high-quality programmes in Nigeria, responsible for providing technical inputs, guidance and support, and operational monitoring and evaluation, development and managing funding proposals, project budgets and donor reports.
General Purpose of the Position
- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Programmes Coordinator will jointly ensure the management and development of the country programme.
- The Programmes Coordinator supervises all programmes, with the specific responsibility for the timely and efficient programme implementation, and most importantly the quality of projects and programmes in terms of their impact.
- By supervising the implementation of results-based M&E systems, the Programmes Coordinator also guides the programme strategy and development of future programmes.
- Together with the Head of Mission, the Programmes Coordinator represents INTERSOS to donors and partners, ensuring that INTERSOS is recognised for its field experience. Furthermore, the Programmes Coordinator engages in medium and long-term planning and strategy activities, ensures continuous quality improvement of programmes and contributes towards a successful environment for the programme staff.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Lead the programme side of the development and implementation of the Country Strategic Plan
- Ensure that the overall programme is designed, managed and implemented in conformity to INTERSOS policies, strategy and guidelines.
- Context Analysis
- Analyse the country’s socio-economic situation, (donor) trends, needs and gaps
- Regularly conduct stakeholder analysis, in particular who does what and where (3W)
- Maintain active and regular working relationships with donors
- Maintain active and regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups and consortia
- Regularly update a directory of donors, international and local NGOs, other partners and stakeholders
- Contribute to the reporting to national and local authorities as required by INTERSOS registration/legal status in country
- In the absence of Technical Coordinators, represent INTERSOS in key clusters and working group meetings
Fundraising and proposal development:
- Identify funding opportunities;
- Contribute to the identification of potential relevant international and/or local partners (private sector partners, national and international NGOs, think tanks, academia, etc.) to be included in proposals
- Liaise with Technical Coordinator to contribute to the ToRs of assessments to be conducted for proposal development and to request their input in the logframe development
- Contribute to the development of fundraising documents (be it expression of Interests/ Concept Notes/ Proposals) in line with INTERSOS country strategy and donor requirements and in close collaboration with INTERSOS HQ and finance
- Liaise with Head of Base, Project Managers and Technical Coordinators to ensure that proposals are relevant and technically sound
- Integrate learning from previous interventions (e.g. lessons learnt and best practices) into new proposals
- Involve Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams in the development of fundraising documents, particularly finance for the budget and logistics in case of specific donor procurement rules
- Contribute to addressing in a timely manner all comments by donors on proposals in liaison with relevant staff in country and INTERSOS HQ and finance
- Read thoroughly all contracts before signature, seeking INTERSOS HQ and finance advice when required
- Ensure that contractual obligations (including visibility requirements) and reporting deadlines are known and met by Programme, and Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams’ team
- When any issue is identified in meeting deliverables in the given timeframe and budget, inform relevant staff in country and seek INTERSOS HQ Program Department advice on potential solutions that would meet donor rules
- Participate in and take minutes of kick-off and close out meetings for each project
- Write quality narrative reports, reflecting the progress and status of projects in a transparent, timely and professional manner, in liaison with INTERSOS HQ and finance, which will contribute ultimately to steady cash inflow
- Liaise with section Heads (Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams) teams when preparing reports, especially with finance to ensure greater coherence between financial and narrative reports by crosschecking the matching of data in the narrative and financial reports
- Contribute to the monthly update of the INTERSOS and ensure smooth and regular communication with INTERSOS HQ
- Ensure ad hoc requests from donors are addressed in liaison with the HoM, programme and support teams
- Ensure effective leadership and management of INTERSOS Nigeria programme through line management of Programme / Head of base or Project Managers where relevant
- Lead proposal writing processes from a programme perspective and coordinates with other departments
- Ensure timely and high-quality reporting is done by all programmes to donors
- Ensure project developed meets high standards in terms of design, implementation and M&E through proper Project Cycle Management
- Prepare programme budgets collaboratively with programme and finance staff
- Track programme expenditure through monthly programme review meetings using financial expenditure reports prepared by the finance department.
- Ensure compliance to donor policies, procedures and procurement
Human Resource Management:
- In consultation with the Head of Mission, plan HR needs, capacity building needs for senior program staff an enough human resources for the programme to meet its objectives
- Ensure coherent policy towards recruitment, remuneration and bonuses across the country programme
Documentation and Learning:
- Ensure that all programmes properly retain programme learning for future projects, and that all information is properly documented.
- Ensure that all official programme documentation is properly stored and available for the future.
- Relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in international relations and/or development, political science or similar field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, with experience in supporting emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks;
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and tradition
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Excellent team-working and team-building skills, as well as ability to work under high pressure and with flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Pro-active approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Available to share accommodation facilities when required
Job Code: SR-49-1433
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with frequent travels Abuja and other locations where needed.
Starting Date: 1 / 5 / 2020
Contract Duration: 30 / 9 / 2020
Reporting To: Head of Mission (hierarchically), Roving Regional log. Coordinator (technically)
Supervision of: Logistics Department
Context of the Project
- The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) . Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis.
- In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is proposing to continue provide services through integrated projects that will address critical gaps in health, nutrition, protection and WASH services for a highly vulnerable population in host communities and IDPs camps in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Bama), Dikwa (Dikwa), Magumeri and Kukawua LGAs, Borno State, Nigeria.
General-purpose of the Position
- The Country Logistics Coordinator will be providing professional advice to senior managers on areas of work covered in their remit.
- He/she will ensure gender mainstreaming through programme assessment, planning and implementation.
- He/she will be managing/supervising resources within defined boundaries or a specialist area, which may include people, assets and/or budgets; will lead in the development of strategy and ensures and supports operational implementation; will develop solutions to diverse and complex problems within organisational policy; will interprets and applies operational and specialist information in a variety of formats from a variety of sources.
- He/she will have the flexibility to anticipate and resolve challenges within corporate or divisional parameters, with moderate scope; to contribute to and influence operational planning; to influence coordinators and project managers, and in Intersos and develop effective networks with external bodies; to contribute in development of project requirements in programme development and design and to spend at least 40% of the time at field visit to ensure substantive support to the team in the operational areas.
- S/He will be ultimately responsible for the smooth operations of all logistics functions in the country, whether in Abuja, Maiduguri, field level or satellite offices regardless of whether they are managed by local or international staff.
Logistics Coordination and Planning:
- Responsible for providing technical oversight and support within assigned portfolio to ensure implementation of logistics, procurement and supply chain activities in full compliance with the organizations policies and procedures, donors’ regulations and local laws.
- Maintain an overview of the logistics needs of the Nigeria programme and work with the team to meet these needs in a timely and quality manner.
- Work with program managers / coordinators to identify logistics needs and develop strategies to meet them in a timely fashion.
- Work with programme teams to develop procurement plans for each donor contract, and collaborate with field logisticians on delivering to these plans.
- Support managers and proactively be involved in other aspects of programme planning, such as proposal writing, budgeting.
- Prepare country – level logistics summary and analysis reports.
- Undertake short periods of research or project work to document experience and build up institutional learning on logistical aspects of Intersos’s work.
- Make assessments of the logistics issues of new situations e.g. transportation, new base set ups etc. with or on behalf of other staff and reporting with recommendations for Intersos.
- In close collaboration with the line manager, Security and Safety Coordinator and Project Managers, assess the need for, and ensure that appropriate physical means are in place (Facilities, communications, safe areas, etc.) to ensure safety of staff in their respective duty stations and also to manage evacuations when necessary.
Project Supply Planning and review:
- In collaboration with the project manager, design an appropriate supply structure, in line with Oxfam standards and procedures:
- Throughout the project cycle, provide information for the (re-)planning of supply activities, including in the early stages of new programmes and donor proposals.
- Periodically review the effectiveness and quality of the supply process
- Maintain a risk register for the supply chain in projects and prepare mitigating actions.
- Use supply chain information systems to analyse and select data to prepare management information.
- Ensure market research and testing is done periodically to ensure value of money.
Logistic System and Procedures Management:
- Maintain an overview of Intersos policy, systems and procedures relevant to Programme logistics in field bases with Programme Project Managers.
- Ensure that logistics-related donor conditionality is met across the Programme response programme.
- Ensure that IMP is implemented in all Programme field bases location, and to make sure that all the logistics staffs are trained in the usage of IMP system.
- Ensure that appropriate stock management are in place in all field bases location and foresee that and updated and accurate monthly stock report is submitted.
- Develop and maintain the fleet management and appropriate data entry into system.
- Ensure that all data are collected on time and put into the system and the appropriate staff are well trained and are effectively using the system
- Ensure and monitor appropriate Master asset register and foresee that an updated asset register is included in reporting from all field bases.
- Lead in the development of analysis on transportation requirements in Nigeria and potential developments. Air, road etc
- Ensure that vehicle fleet management routines are established and maintained, including appropriate management of drivers.
- Ensure that there is an efficient system in place for the monitoring of fuel purchase and consumption, services and repairs for vehicles and other machines (engines) and that the system is scrupulously applied and reviewed.
Staff Management and Representation:
- Support the recruitment of logistics staff as well as recruit, train and supervise those under direct management.
- Responsible to visit the field teams and programmes regularly in order to monitor the systems, procedures and assess performance of logistic personnel (and make recommendations and plan of action with regard this).
- Establish and maintain good contacts with suppliers, government offices, UN agencies and other NGOs with regards to logistical matters.
- Ensure the implementation of actions in support of Intersos values and policy, including gender and diversity mainstreaming.
- Contribute to the monitoring of the capacities of all Programme logistics staff in Nigeria. This will be achieved through mentoring and supervision and also through other learning forums and methodologies.
- Support Programme Managers in Performance management of logistics staff according to Oxfam’s performance management system. Assist in the Matrix management line to set objectives, develop capacity, and evaluate performance.
- Together with Security and Core Thematic Coordinators, Head of Base and Fields Security focal points, assess risks in the areas of project implementation and develop context-specific CPP, MOSS and SOPs.
- Masters/Post graduate academic qualification on Logistics and Supply Chain Management or related disciplines.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience for Masters- Post graduate holders or 7-10 years for bachelor’s holders in an International NGO out of which 4 years should be supervisory/managerial experience.
- Extensive experience in Logistics related skills as listed above (managing supplies, assets, team support, vehicle fleet management, and communication);
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills;
- A proven record of effective management of people and resources, including planning and organisational skills
- Excellent negotiation skills, and good interpersonal and team skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Experience of management/supervisory responsibilities, including support to development of others (including mentoring/ coaching, and team building experience);
- Willingness to travel app. 40% to field bases;
- Experience in insecure environments, and knowledge of the principles of security management;
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Intersos;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action;
- Commitment to Intersos’s equal opportunity, Safeguarding and gender policies.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into logistics programmes an advantage.
- Strong leadership qualities to manage the team, motivate them and to influence other colleagues to perform, both within logistics and across other functions.
- Excellent communication/networking skills to enable his/her team to articulate any issues to management as well as other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, to make decisions independently and to analyse data and understand connections.
- Have a procedural mindset, understanding of quality management principles, and give attention to details.
- Be an individual with high standards of integrity, with excellent negotiating skills and ability to manage external relationships.
- Fully proficient in written and spoken English
- A qualification in humanitarian supply and logistics
- Professional qualification in Procurement management like Charter Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS)
- Previous international work experience, ideally with non-governmental organisations
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
22 total views, 1 today