Full-Time NIGERIA FINANCE MANAGER: CALABAR
United Purpose (UP) is an international development organisation with an innovative community led approach to eradicating global poverty and inequality. We lift people up out of poverty by creating solutions that last. Our unique approach combines ground-breaking innovation with decades of deep personal relationships and community-driven solutions to solve the problems faced by those furthest left behind and most marginalised.
UP has a global turnover of £29 million and reaches 4 million people annually. Our income has increased significantly in the past few years, and we have been successful in growing our impact and reputation.
United Purpose seeks a Country Finance Manager to manage and further develop an existing substantial programme. The post offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced and dynamic individual to make a significant contribution to the organisation’s work. We seek exceptional interpersonal and strong accounting and financial management. Working within a motivated team of staff and alongside local partners, government and private sector, the candidate will have several years representational and project management experience. A positive disposition, can-do attitude, strategic, analytical and leadership skills are essential.
With regular travels to Benue
Responsible to: Nigeria Country Director
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: Competitive with comprehensive benefits package
Responsible for: Finance Officers and Grant accountants all based in Nigeria
United Purpose’s vision is a world where justice, dignity and respect prevail for all. Working in partnership, United Purpose challenges poverty and inequality by supporting practical actions that enable people to improve their lives and shape their own futures. Founded in 1976, United Purpose currently works in 13 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. By working directly with partners and communities to identify real opportunities for lasting and positive change, we facilitate a variety of projects that promote resilient livelihoods, better health, and respect for rights.
United Purpose is committed to working alongside communities and our partner organisations to support local initiatives that improve the lives of people living in some of the world’s poorest countries. Strengthening the ability of local communities to establish and sustain development initiatives is a central theme of our work.
Operating in the country’s tropical South region since 2001, United Purpose Nigeria emphasizes bottom-up approaches that empower rural communities to take the lead in improving their own health, livelihoods, and voice. Recognizing the importance of building resilient partnerships, we focus on building the capacity of local NGOs, government agencies, and community-based organizations to promote sustainable development and participatory community engagement. From empowering widows with vocational training, working with flood-prone communities to manage mangrove forests, to increasing the accountability of local governments, United Purpose Nigeria has worked directly with communities and our local partners across Benue, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, and Ebonyi states to address the root causes of poverty.
United Purpose Nigeria has recently focused its programming to improving the health of rural communities in Cross River and Benue States by increasing access to water, sanitation, and hygiene. United Purpose is leading a 5-year programme, jointly funded by the UN’s Global Sanitation Fund and the Nigerian Government, to transform the sanitation and hygiene behaviour of over 1,200 communities. The ‘Rural Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion in Nigeria’ (RUSHPIN) programme is empowering 2 million people in Cross River and Benue States through a ‘Community-led Total Sanitation’ behaviour change approach. Programme results are used to secure scale-up funding, developing the capacity of the media to report on WASH stories, and empowering sanitation and hygiene champions at all levels. In addition, United Purpose Nigeria is pioneering approaches to integrate safe water access with sanitation and hygiene behaviour change. Further funding for the programme is currently under negotiation.
In this role, you will provide the Country Director and SMT with a range of financial and business support and ensure all finance activity is consistent with corporate policy and guidelines, and abiding to donor compliance. You will produce timely and accurate management accounts information for both Core and project management.
- You would provide effective leadership and reliable management support to the finance and grant team and other partnerships in Nigeria.
- You would be responsible for proposal development and ensuring accurate and complete financial reports required for donors and other stakeholders.
- You will work closely with UK Finance team with other organisation priorities as they arises – including development of new accounting system, review Risk Matrix and update organisation policy and procedure.
- To prepare annual Nigeria programme budget (core and restricted funding); Revised Budget and regular forecasting.
- To perform monthly and/or quarterly balance sheet reconciliation on BS accounts.
- To prepare monthly management accounts for budget holders and to the UK office.
- To prepare payroll in liaison with Office Manager.
- To lead the development and roll-out of new accounting systems, processes and procedure to improve reporting and internal controls.
- Managing, coaching and supervising of 2x grant accountants and 3x Finance officers.
- Managing internal control environment and working strongly with the Internal Auditor.
- To prepare financial reports for donors, in accordance with donor requirements.
- To ensure MOUs, completed due diligence report and funding-specific sub-contracts are in place with all partners for all projects.
- To ensure systems, procedures, compliance and risk management are maintained to the highest standard.
- To monitor the funds transferred to partner organisations and to ensure partners have adequate financial systems and controls.
- To ensure that systems are in place for the effective management of resources in relation to finance, transport, supplies and capital assets, including maintenance of assets register and vehicle logbooks.
- To ensure that effective and secure budgetary control of the programme’s finances and expenditures are established and maintained, seeking cost-effective ways of operating and identifying cost savings.
- To monitor project finances on a monthly basis and liaise with Programme Managers and Country Director
- To comply with United Purpose’s policies and practice with respect to protection of children and vulnerable adults and other relevant policies and procedures.
To provide UKO with information required for annual group audited accounts.
Accountancy qualification/or equivalent experience of accounting in the NGO sector.
Key skills and competencies
- Commitment to the values and mission of United Purpose.
- Self starter, capable of innovatively developing the programme.
- Positive outlook and standalone disposition.
- Commitment to and experience of working with local NGOs and institutions.
- Strong skills and experience with Excel or comparable spreadsheet & accounts packages.
- Well developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Training & skills transfer ability including one to one coaching.
- Proven ability both to solve complex accounting problems and communicate effectively on these with non-specialist staff.
- Experience of complex and major donor financial reporting; compliance and auditing requirements.
- Line management experience in a small to medium sized team.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the field to work with partners.
- Determined hard worker, capable of rapid and quality turn around on a high workload and multiple tasks.
- Attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
- Excellent communication and team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally.
- Excellent planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills.
Fluency in spoken and written English.
Method of Application
To apply for this role please send your CV and a cover letter indicating your suitability for the role to:
9:00 am Tuesday 22 May 2018.
All applications will be acknowledged but only successful applications will be contacted further.
57 total views, 1 today